Application for an Emergency Passport (NMRPs)
According to the instructions received from the Controller General, Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo, emergency passports or Non Machine Readable Passports may be issued as follows.
1. An emergency passport may be issued to an applicant who has lost his passport or whose passport has expired.
2. Emergency passports or NMRPs can only be issued to applicants to return to Sri Lanka with validity to travel through countries enroute. A copy of the travel itinerary is required for the endorsement “Valid to return to Sri Lanka via…………….” to be made on the emergency passport.
3. Emergency passports or NMRPs are only issued in the event of an emergency. A letter of request explaining the circumstances as well as the reason for the emergency travel, should be sent with the application.
4. Emergency passports or NMRPs cannot be issued for purposes other than emergency travel to Sri Lanka and return.
Please download Application ‘K’ and comply with the following instructions, incomplete applications may result in delays:
- Three photographs of the applicant certified by a Justice of the Peace, practicing medical practitioner or solicitor.
- Copy of travel itinerary
- Copy of the Birth Certificate
- For people who have been on a permanent residence visa in Australia (Four or more years) or in New Zealand (Five or more years), a Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status (referred to as Certificate of Denial in New Zealand) will need to be sent with your application. This certificate can be obtained by contacting the Australian Department of Immigration or Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand.
- Request in writing with contact details: Tel. no., E-mal address and Fax no. (if available)
Emergency Passport fees:
A passport fee is applicable, current charges are:
- Stop Gap amount within Australia A$ 40.00 – Outside Australia A$ 60.00 (New Zealand, PNG, Fiji, Solomon Island, Vanuatu)
- NMRP only ( If applicant produces the previous passport) within Australia A$ 70.00 – Outside Australia A$ 90.00
- NMRP only ( if previous passport lost ) within Australia A$ 180.00 – Outside Australia A$ 200.00 (New Zealand, PNG, Fiji, Solomon Island, Vanuatu)
- Please note that you cannot apply for a non-machine Readable (emergency) passport unless you have already applied for a new passport.
Please make all payments payable to ‘The Sri Lanka High Commission’, Payments can only be made by:
Bank cheque ( Personal Cheques are not acceptable)
The Application/s sould be sent to:
61, Hampton Circuit Yarralumla, Canberra ACT 2600 For further information, please contact Consular Officer :
Telephone: (02) 61983760 -Fax : (02) 61983760
Register with the High Commission
The Sri Lankan High Commission in Canberra would like to keep in touch with Sri Lankans and persons of Sri Lankan origin living in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu and other Pacific Islands as well as Sri Lankan community organisations in those countries.
If you are a current/former Sri Lankan or an office bearer of a Sri Lankan community organisation we invite you to register with the High Commission.Register
61 Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla, Canberra
Tel: (02) 6198 3756
Fax: (02) 6198 3760