Registration of Marriages
1. One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan Citizen and should give Notice of Marriage to the Embassy. (Forms are available at the High Commission).
2. The marriage may be registered in the High Commission after a lapse of twelve (12) working days from the date of receipt of the Notice of Marriage and within three (03) months from such date.
3. Valid passports of both parties should be produced.
4. Two (02) witnesses with photo identification documents should also be present.
5. The originals of the following documents are required for the registration of a marriage: a. Passport b. Bachelor Certificate c. Notice of Marriage d. Proof of Residence
Charge for Registration of Marriages
(i) Notice of Marriage (General/Kandyan) A$ 25.00
(ii) Registration of Marriages (General/Kandyan) A$ 25.00
(iii) Registration of Marriages under specific License (General/Kandyan) A$ 50.00
(iv) Certified copies (General/Kandyan) A$ 25.00
(v) Caveat A$ 25.00
(vi) Application for marriage licenses under Section 24 (Notice of Marriage) No fee may be levied
(vii) For Registration (Muslim) A$ 25.00
(viii) For certified copies (Muslim) A$ 25.00
Marriage between two Sri Lankan Citizens
Both parties should obtain a Bachelor Certificate issued by the Grama Niladari (Village Headman) in the applicant’s city/village, which should be endorsed by the Divisional Secretary and thereafter by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Colombo 01.
Marriage between a Sri Lankan citizen and non – Sri Lankan Citizen
1. Bachelor Certificates should be obtained by the Sri Lanka Citizen .(Procedure is the same as above.)
2. The other party to the marriage is required to obtain a Bachelor Certificate from the Embassy/ High Commission of his/her country.