CBR 001 – Application for a new Sri Lankan Passport
- Eligibility: For bona fide Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration.
- Validity: For 10 years and unless otherwise specified cannot be extended.
- Where to apply? Forward your application to the following respective offices, closest to your place of residence.
Office & Contact Details
|1||New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Samoa
Western Australia (WA), Northern Territory (NT),Australian Capital Territory (ACT),
New South Wales, Queensland
Sri Lanka High Commission,
61, Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla 2600, ACT, Australia
Fax : 02-6198-3760
E-mail : email@example.com
|2||Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania||
Sri Lanka Consulate General in Melbourne
Suite 536, No 1 Queens Road,
Telephone: +61 3 9290 4200
4. How to Apply
- Applying at our counter: You can submit your application by visiting us in person, after obtaining an appointment via email or calling us. Consular hours are Monday to Friday 9.30 am – 1.30 pm. Please check our website for any public holiday closure prior to visiting us.
It is mandatory for you to submit your current passport at the counter. It will be returned to you on the same day, after the processing of your application.
- Submitting application via post:
All types of applications could be submitted via post with compliance to the following instructions:
– One of your photographs pasted on page 2 of the application (Specimen), Top of the 4th page of the application and copies of all the supporting documents should be certified (with an official stamp) by an authorized certification body of the residing country (Lawyer, Doctor, Justice of Peace, Police Officer or Pharmacist).
It is mandatory to submit your current passport and a Certificate to prove Sri Lankan Citizenship along with the application and it will be returned to you after cancellation, with the New Passport.
5. Who can apply? Holder of Permanent Residence (PR) Certificate OR valid visa for the country as appropriate (Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Samoa).Sri Lankan citizens who have applied for, and gained, refugee or asylum status in Australia are not entitled to a Sri Lankan passport, in accordance with Sri Lankan Immigration Laws. However, they are eligible to apply for temporary travel documents for the sole purpose of returning to Sri Lanka.
6. When to apply? On expire of 10 years validity of the existing passport OR pages being exhausted OR physically damaged passport OR for a new born baby. Applications must be lodged well in advance of the expiry of the current passport. However, if you are applying for a New Passport prior to one year or more to the expiry date of the current passport, you must provide a letter with the reason. If you apply after the expiry of the validity of your current passport, a penalty fee will be charged. (In the case of lost or Stolen passport, or minor passport different application process will apply. Please see Lost or Stolen Passport Application section (CBR003)or Minor Passport Application Section (CBR002)
7. How long will this take? The issuing authority is the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka Colombo. Therefore, the total processing time for a new passport is 8-12 weeks, from the date of submission of the completed application. The High Commission will forward completed applications to the Department of Immigration in Sri Lanka. The High Commission cannot guarantee the issuance of passport within a specific time period.
8. What is the procedure for submitting Biometrics for passports? The collection of biometrics (fingerprints and digital facial image) from passport applicants has been made mandatory with effect from 1 st January 2018 by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka [DIE]. (Please see No. 11 for more information)
|1.||Application form||Form K- I.E. 35 with 01 copy– Compulsory
Note : Please read the instructions carefully before filling the application form
|2.||Current Passport||with 02 photocopies of data page and alteration and observation (page 4 & 5)– Compulsory|
|3.||Original birth certificate Certificate to prove Sri Lankan Citizenship (Annex I)||With 02 photocopies (Birth Certificates issued by the Registrar General, District Registrar, Divisional Registrar only.
Photocopies certified by third parties and translations will not be accepted by the Department of Immigration and Emigration Sri Lanka.) – Compulsory
|4.||Original Citizenship certificate and the Affidavit for Citizenship declaration – (Annex II)
(If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka only)
|with 02 photocopies, issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Sri Lanka
For first time passport applicants – a copy of the payment receipt for Citizenship (Sri Lankan citizenship applied and pending) registration.– Compulsory
Original Affidavit with a copy – Compulsory
|5.||Original Marriage certificate ONLY in the case of name change consequent to marriage||with 02 photocopies (applicable to female applicants) – Compulsory
(Photocopies ,Copies certified by other parties and translations will not be accepted)
|6.||In case of divorce and if spouse wishes to continue her married name in the new passport||02 photocopies of the court order – Compulsory|
|7.||National Identity Card (NIC)||02 certified photocopies only if your NIC number not mentioned in your current passport or if you have obtained a new NIC (Please do not send applicant’s Original NIC to the High Commission )
If you are above 16 years of age and if you have not yet obtained a Sri Lankan NIC, a letter should be submitted by you stating your consent to obtain a new NIC upon your first entry to Sri Lanka. This letter should be addressed to the “Controller General, Department of Immigration & Emigration, Sri Lanka”
|8.||If the applicant is a dual citizen||With 02 photocopies of dual citizenship certificate and data page of foreign passport– Compulsory|
|9.||If the applicant desires to include his/her Profession in the Passport (If it is not mentioned on the Previous Passport)||With 02 certified photocopies of the professional or educational certificates – Compulsory|
|10.||If the applicant desires to include his/her Job/ Occupation||
A recently obtained service/appointment letter obtained from the relevant country employer and duly certified by a Sri Lankan Honorary Consul or a JP/GP / Solicitor – Compulsory
For unskilled jobs e.g., labor, house maid, no document is required.
If you do not wish to mention your profession/ Occupation on your passport, please keep it blank without mentioning your profession/ Occupation on the application.
|11.||If the applicant desires to include his/her status as a Student||The copy of the enrolment letter from the University/Institute/College/School – Compulsory|
|12.||If the applicant is a member of the Buddhist clergy||Certificate of Higher ordination (Upasampada Sahathikaya) in addition to the Birth Certificate– Compulsory|
|13.||Australian Visa holders||“VEVO “[Visa Entitlement Verification Online] from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Australia. This certificate can be obtained free of charge from www.border.gov.au/Busi/Visa. This Certificate should be obtained less than a week prior to submitting the application. – Compulsory|
|14.||New Zealand Visa holders||Applicants who have been on a permanent residence visa in New Zealand exceeding a two years of period, must submit a Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status [referred to as Certificate of Denial in New Zealand] with two copies. This Certificate can be obtained from the Ministry of Internal Affairs in New Zealand through the below link.
If the applicant is not eligible to apply for “Certificate of Denial”,he/she must produce New Zealand visa pages of the passport. All other countries (Australia & New Zealand,must submit visa pages of the application – Compulsory
|15.||Visa Holders in Countries other than Australia and New Zealand||02 photocopies of current visa page of his/her passport– Compulsory|
|16.||Request letter with all contact details||Current Residential Address, contact telephone number(Land and mobile ), and email address, enabling High Commission to contact applicant conveniently . – Compulsory|
|17.||Applicable fees||Within Australia
AUD 225.00 + Postage AUD 10.00 = AUD 235.00
AUD 225.00 + Postage AUD 40.00 = AUD 265.00
We send your documents via Australia post – registered post (within Australia) / Express International Post (to New Zealand). Please note that we will not be able to take any responsibility for documents lost in the post. If you want to get your documents sooner than Australia Post, you can arrange a courier service from your end and send us the shipping documents. Then we will hand it over to the relevant courier company.
Note: Credit/ATM/Debit cards AND personal or Company cheques will not be accepted.
Note: The applicants who wish to pay relevant fees by direct transfer to the Bank Account of the High Commission in Canberra, please send your application by post to us. Then we will advise you the bank details via email.
|19.||Special Notes (Important)
8. Few important tips to avoid unnecessary delays
Q 5 & Q 6. : Name in the Passport: Passport will be issued in the name given in the Original Sri Lankan Birth Certificate, unless a name change has been done by the Registrar General in Sri Lanka.
Change of name done abroad or the current usage of a different name in documents issued by an organization/institute/foreign government will not be taken into consideration.
Q 7.Permanent Address: Provide your current address with post code.
Photograph: 4.5 x 3.5cm size three (03) colour photographs taken in the preceding three months from the date of submission of application are required.
Photos that do not adhere to these guidelines will not be accepted.
- The photographs should be 3.5cm x 4.5cm size & taken within three months at the time of apply
- The appearance of the applicant should be clearly identifiable The background and the dress should not be in same color
- The face must be clearly visible without any makeup and other effects The ears and forehead must be clearly visible
- The photo should show the applicants’ eyes clearly without spectacles.
- The Applicants who request to wear caps and scarves may do so but photographers should ensure to make forehead and ears are clearly visible. Shadows of the scarves should not reflect on the face.
Out of the three (03) colour photographs, affix first photograph in the box given in the (up-right hand side) first page of the application.
Affix the second photograph in box given in the left hand side of the second page of the application form.
Affix the third photograph in the box given in the right hand side of the second page of the application. This photograph must be attested by a Justice of Peace, a practising Medical Officer, Solicitor or Consular Officer of Sri Lanka. The attestation seal and signature of the attester must cross the photograph as well as application form. (Please see the specimen application given)
Q 19Signature of applicant: Signature of the applicant has to be placed inside both cages without touching the border of the cage.
For minors who are unable to sign, parents can write a part of the child’s name in the signature cages. (Parents must not place their signature or write their name on the child’s passport application)
Q 20.Declaration of the applicant: Applicant must fill and sign the declaration. If the applicant is unable to sign, a parent can sign the declaration.
Q 21.Certificate regarding the applicant: Attester (Honorary Consul/JP/ GP/ Solicitor) must fill and sign this part
9. Who can certify the above documents: Hon Consul/Solicitor/JP/Medical Practitioner [GP] can certify above documents.
All services provided by Honorary Consuls are free of charge as their services are provided on an honorary basis.
10.Collection of the New Passport
Your application for a new passport will be forwarded to the Overseas Mission Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, Sri Lanka. The arrival of the new Passport will be notified to you by email.
Please note that a specific time period for the issuance of your passport cannot be guaranteed.
The old passport will be cancelled by the Controller, Immigration & Emigration before issuance of your New Passport. You can use your current passport until the issuance of the new passport.
Collection from the Counter: You do not need to obtain a prior appointment for collection of the Passport. You can collect the new passport by visiting the High Commission between 9.30 a.m.to 1.30 p.m. on any working day. Please check our website for any public holiday closures prior to visiting us. It is mandatory to bring your current passport along with the receipt issued by the High Commission at the time of the submission of your application for collection of your new passport. Your current passport is required to be cancelled once new passport is issued. If you have already submitted your current passport to this office, it will be returned along with your New Passport. For collection of new passport by a third party, you are required to provide the third party with an authorization letter, the receipt issued by the High Commission at the time of the submission of your application and your current passport.
Collection by post:
If you wish to receive your new passport via registered post, you will have to pay for the postal fee by the time you are submitting your application.. And we will post it to your postal address as per your application. Any changes of your address must be email to firstname.lastname@example.org with completed address and the contact number.
If you have already submitted your current passport to this office, it will be returned along with your New Passport.
The tracking number will be emailed to you to follow-up once your passport posted.
And the applicants in other accredited countries must notify their respective immigration departments.
11. What is the procedure for Biometric Collection upon arrival in Sri Lanka?
The collection of biometrics (fingerprints and digital facial image) from passport applicants has been made mandatory with effect from 1stJanuary 2018 by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka [DIE].
All Sri Lankans between the ages 16-60 years applying for a Sri Lankan Passport through the High Commission/Consulate General Office in Sydney or Melbourne will be required to provide bio metric data to the Department of Immigration and Emigration upon his /her first entry to Sri Lanka.
Please note that departure from Sri Lanka will be allowed only after completion of this requirement.
What is the procedure for Biometric Collection upon arrival in Sri Lanka?
- On arrival in Sri Lanka you should directly report to the Chief Immigration Officer [CIO] and he will issue a system generated Biometric Data Acquisition Form [BDA] in duplicate with a unique reference number along with a guidance note.
- The applicant has to fill and sign the Form [BDA] in duplicate and produce it to the Senior Authorized Officer at the collection desk. One copy of the BDA will be returned to the applicant, to be produced to the Department [DIE] at the time of biometric enrolment.
Please note that biometrics cannot be provided at the airport prior to departure
How to avoid delays in submitting this information? You may have an appointment for fingerprints submission via online reservation system; www.immigration.gov.lk. BDA form should be submitted form to the Overseas Mission Division of the DIE headquarters at Battaramulla or to one of the regional offices.
- No payment is required for biometrics;
- Completion of biometric enrolment process will take approximately45 minutes;
- The Applicants who successfully complete this process will be issued a confirmation form;
- After completion of this process, the system will be automatically activated/updated facilitating the departure of the applicant from Sri Lanka;
- Biometric enrolment process will not change information contained in the passport;
- Passport Application form K-I.M35 has been revised to include client Undertaking Section [CUS-section 20]. This section has to be signed by the applicant;
- Application will not be accepted without the signature of the applicant under any circumstances.
Contact Nos/ Regional Offices of the Department of Immigration and Emigration: Working hours 8.00 am -2.00pm – Monday to Friday except public holidays.
Colombo – Overseas Missions Division 2nd Floor, Department of Immigration and Emigration ‘Suhurupaya’ Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla. Tel. +94 11 5329230
Matara – No.9 Sri Vijaya Builiding, Rahula Road, Matara. Tel. +94 415412212
Kandy – 42/3 Sangaraja Mawatha, Kandy Tel. + 94 81 5624470, +94 81 5624509
Vavuniya – JC 23, Outer Circle Road, Vavuniya Tel. +94 25 5676344
Kurunegala – 129, Dambulla Road,Kurunegala Tel. +94 37 5550562 +94 37 5550563
Submission of forged Birth Certificate or any other documents and making false declarations relating to the citizenship status is an offence. Such cases will be reported to relevant authorities and payment will not be refunded.
Check List (Mark where applicable)
- Duly filled application and a photocopy
- Original Birth certificate and 02 photocopies
- Current passport
- Current passport Data page & Alteration (Page 4 & 5) – 2 photo copies
- 02 photocopies of National Identity Card (If available)
- 02 certified copies of Marriage certificate/ Death certificate/ Court orders (if applicable)
- 02 copies of dual citizenship certificate (if applicable)
- foreign passport Copy (Dual Nationals only)
- Evidence of profession/ job/ occupation (if applicable)
- Student Enrolment letter (if applicable)
- Current visa status
- Request letter