Application for a New Passport for Minor (Age under 16)
Procedure to apply for a New Passport for a Minor
(A minor is a person below 16 years of age)
Eligibility for a Sri Lankan Passport as a minor
An applicant who is less than 16 years of age can apply for a Sri Lankan passport if he/she is a Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration.
Passports issued to minors are valid for 03 years unless otherwise specified, and cannot be extended.
Where to apply
Applications can be submitted to the Sri Lankan diplomatic/consular office as listed below:
|Place of residence||Office to submit application|
|Western Australia (WA), Northern Territory (NT), Australian Capital Territory (ACT),New Zealand, Papua New Guinea (PNG), Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, Solomon Islands||Sri Lanka High Commission, 61, Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla, Canberra. ACT 2600, Australia.|
|New South Wales, Queensland||Sri Lanka Consulate General in Sydney(Please go through www.slcgsyd.com)|
|Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania||Sri Lanka Consulate General in Melbourne(Please go through www.slcgmel.org)|
If you hold Permanent Residence or a valid visa in your country of residence and require a new passport due to one of the following reasons, you can apply for a new Sri Lankan Passport;
- pass port has expired after three years
- pages are exhausted
- current passport is physically damaged,
- new born baby
[in the case of a lost passport please note that the procedure is different].
Documents that need to be submitted:
The application form to apply for a new passport [“Form K”] can be downloaded Download Here.
Instructions to fill the application:
Instruction to fill Form ‘K’
(Please respond to the following questions carefully to avoid unnecessary delays)
Q 4 & Q 5. : Name in Passport
- Passport will be issued in the name given on the Original Sri Lankan Birth Certificate, unless a name change has been done by the Registrar General in Sri Lanka.
- Change of name done abroad or the current usage of a different name in documents issued by an organization/institute/foreign government will not be taken into consideration, when issuing new Sri Lankan passports.
Q 6. Permanent Address
- Provide your current address with post code & country.
Q 20 & Q 21 Photograph
- 4.5 x 3.5cm size three (03) colour photographs taken in the preceding three months from the date of submission of application are required. The photographs should be clear with full front face, both ears clearly visible and without spectacles or head dress and must be taken against a light colour background.
- Application and photos must be attested by a Justice of Peace, a practising Medical Officer, Solicitor or Consular Officer of Sri Lanka.
- Paste one photograph at Q 21
- The attester must sign on the verification photograph by crossing the photo and paper and place the attester’s rubber stamp as shown in the application.
- 2nd photograph must be pasted on the cage Q 20
- 3rd photograph must be pasted on page 1
Q 22 & 23 Signature of applicant
- Signature of the applicant has to be placed inside both cages without touching the border of the cage.
For minors who are unable to sign, parents can write a part of the child’s name in the signature cages. (Parents should not place their signature or their name)
Q 24. Declaration of the applicant
- Applicant must fill and sign the declaration.
If the applicant us unable to, a parent can be sign the declaration.
Q 25. Certificate regarding the applicant
- Attester (Honorary Consul/JP/ GP/ Solicitor) must fill and sign this part.
- Attestation of application and photograph has to be signed by one and the same person.
- Current passport [Original] with 02 photocopies of the data page and the alteration page.
- Original birth certificate with 02 photocopies (Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar General, District Registrar, Divisional Registrar will be accepted. Photocopies certified by other parties and translations will not be accepted.)
- 04.Original Citizenship certificate with 02 photocopies (If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka, the Citizenship Certificate issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo or a copy of the payment receipt for citizenship registration will be accepted.)
- Consent letter signed by both parents [both parents have to sign this with their passport Nos.]
- Parents’ Original Marriage certificate with 02 photocopies. [If parents are divorced, Divorce Certificate/ Court decision together with the order of Custody of the child/ children should be submitted.] In the case of demise of one parent, the death certificate must be submitted]
- If applicant is an adopted child, the Certificate of Adoption, the court order and a letter from the Commissioner of Probation and Child Care.
- If a dual citizen, 02 photocopies of dual citizenship certificate and data page of foreign passport*
- If applicant needs to include occupation as “student “in the Passport, evidence should be attached: i.e. A letter from the University/ Institute/ College/ School
- Passport copies of both parents: 02 photocopies of the Data page, alteration and observation pages and children pages of the parent’s passports.
- Visa status of applicant and parents (along with 02 photocopies)
Australian Visa holders
“VEVO “[Visa Entitlement Verification Online] from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Australia should be submitted to prove visa status. This certificate can be obtained free of charge from www.border.gov.au/Busi/Visa and should be obtained within a week prior to submission of the application.
New Zealand Visa holders
For applicants who have been on a permanent residence visa in New Zealand [five or more years], a Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status [referred to as Certificate of Denial in New Zealand] will need to be submitted with the application. This Certificate can be obtained by contacting the Ministry of Internal Affairs of New Zealand at www.dia.gov.nz
Visa Holders in Countries other than Australia and New Zealand
Applicants should submit 02 photocopies of the currant visa page of his/her passport.
12. Request letter with all contact details (address, telephone numbers, and email address)
13. Applicable Payment
Within Australia AUD 125.00 + Postage AUD 10.00 = AUD 135.00
Payment could be made in cash at the counter or by Australian postal order/ Bank cheque drawn in favour of the “Sri Lanka High Commission”. [Credit/ATM cards not accepted]
Outside Australia AUD 125.00 + Postage AUD 30.00 = AUD 155.00
Payment should be made by Bank draft drawn in favour of the “Sri Lanka High Commission” and payable in Australian currency.
14. Special Notes:
- Expired passports will be charged an additional AUD 5.00 for each year from the date of
- Personal /company cheques are not accepted.
- Fees will not be refund once the receipt is issued.
- Translations will not be accepted as originals.
- All photocopies should be on A4 size paper.
- Honorary Consul/Solicitor/JP/Medical Practitioner [GP] can certify these documents as “True Copy“ and return originals to the applicant.
Note: All services provided by Honorary Consuls are free of charge as their services are provided on an honorary basis.
- If original documents are submitted with the required photocopies the High Commission will certify the copies and return originals to the applicant.
- Deletion of child’s name from parent’s passport; If information of the child/children has been endorsed in their parents’ passport/s, the original passport of the parent must be submitted.
- Parents who are also applying for a new passport along with their child/children, do not need to delete the child’s details from their passports, since parents will be issued with a new passport.
- Processing time for a new passport is 8-10 weeks, from the date of submission of the application with all supporting documents to the Department of Immigration and Emigration, Colombo. [Passport applications are usually sent to Colombo once a week]
Applying for a New Passport for a Minor – Check List
To be submitted with application (please mark where applicable)
- Duly filled application and a photocopy
- Original passport and 02 photocopies of data page and alteration page
- Original birth certificate and 02 photocopies
- 02 photocopies of National Identity Card [ if available]
- 02 certified copies of marriage certificate/ death certificate/ court orders (if applicable)
- 02 copies of dual citizenship certificate and foreign passport (if applicable)
- Evidence of profession/ job/ occupation/ student (if applicable)
- Patent’s passport [data page/alteration pages/children’s page/visa page or visa status document]
- Request letter