CBR 001 – Application for a new Sri Lankan Passport
- Eligibility: For bona fide Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration.
- Validity: For 10 years and cannot be extended.
- Where to apply? Forward your application to the following respective offices, closest to your place of residence.
Office & Contact Details
|1||New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Samoa
Western Australia (WA), Northern Territory (NT),Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
Sri Lanka High Commission,
61, Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla 2600, ACT, Australia
Fax : 02-6198-3760
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
|2||New South Wales, Queensland||
Sri Lanka Consulate General in Sydney
Level 11, No 48, Hunter Street,
Tel: 02 9223 8729 / 02 9223 8742
Fax :02 9223 8750
|3||Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania||
Sri Lanka Consulate General in Melbourne
Suite 536, No 1 Queens Road,
Telephone: +61 3 9290 4200
- Who can apply? Holder of Permanent Residence (PR) Certificate OR valid visa for the country as appropriate (Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Samoa).
- When to apply? On expire of 10 years validity of the existing passport OR pages being exhausted OR physically damaged passport OR for a new born baby. (In the case of lost or Stolen passport, different application process will apply. Please see Lost or Stolen Passport Application section (CBR003)
- How long will this take? The issuing authority is the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka Colombo. Therefore, the total processing time for a new passport is 8-12 weeks, from the date of submission of the completed application. Usually the High Commission will forward completed applications to the Department of Immigration through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by Diplomatic bag. The High Commission cannot guarantee the issuance of passport within a specific time period.
- What is the procedure for submitting Biometrics for passports? The collection of biometrics (fingerprints and digital facial image) from passport applicants has been made mandatory with effect from 1 st January 2018 by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka [DIE].
|1.||Application form||Form K- I.E. 35 with 01 copy– Compulsory
Note : Please read the instructions carefully before filling the application form
|2.||Current Passport||with 02 photocopies of data page and alteration page – Compulsory|
|3.||Original birth certificate||With 02 photocopies (Birth Certificates issued by the Registrar General, District Registrar, Divisional Registrar only.
Photocopies certified by third parties and translations will not be accepted by the Department of Immigration and Emigration Sri Lanka.) – Compulsory
|4.||Original Citizenship certificate (If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka only)||with 02 photocopies, issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Sri Lanka OR a copy of the payment receipt for Citizenship (Sri Lankan citizenship applied and pending) registration.– Compulsory
Note: If an applicant born outside Sri Lanka and has reached 21 years, he/she should submit the Citizenship Certificate with the endorsement in the reverse side of the certificate, regarding the applicant’s continuation of Sri Lankan nationality.
|5.||Original Marriage certificate ONLY in the case of name change consequent to marriage||with 02 photocopies (applicable to female applicants) – Compulsory
(Photocopies ,Copies certified by other parties and translations will not be accepted)
|6.||In case of divorce and if spouse wishes to continue her married name in the new passport||02 photocopies of the court order – Compulsory|
|7.||National Identity Card (NIC)||02 certified photocopies if NIC is available (Please do not send applicant’s Original NIC to the High Commission )|
|8.||If the applicant is a dual citizen||With 02 photocopies of dual citizenship certificate and data page of foreign passport– Compulsory|
|9.||If the applicant desires to include his/her Profession in the Passport||With 02 certified photocopies of the professional or educational certificates – Compulsory|
|10.||If the applicant desires to include his/her Job/ Occupation||A recently obtained service/appointment letter obtained from the relevant country employer and duly certified by a Sri Lankan Honorary Consul or a JP/GP / Solicitor – Compulsory|
|11.||If the applicant desires to include his/her status as a Student||The copy of the enrolment letter from the University/Institute/College/School – Compulsory|
|12.||If the applicant is a member of the Buddhist clergy||Certificate of Higher ordination (Upasampada Sahathikaya) in addition to the Birth Certificate– Compulsory|
|13.||Australian Visa holders||“VEVO “[Visa Entitlement Verification Online] from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Australia. This certificate can be obtained free of charge from www.border.gov.au/Busi/Visa. This Certificate should be obtained less than a week prior to submitting the application. – Compulsory|
|14.||New Zealand Visa holders||Applicants who have been on a permanent residence visa in New Zealand, must submit a Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status [referred to as Certificate of Denial in New Zealand]. This Certificate can be obtained from the Ministry of Internal Affairs in New Zealand www.dia.gov.nz. If the applicant is not eligible to apply for “Certificate of Denial”,he/she must produce New Zealand visa pages of the passport. All other countries (Australia & New Zealand,must submit visa pages of the application – Compulsory|
|15.||Visa Holders in Countries other than Australia and New Zealand||02 photocopies of currant visa page of his/her passport– Compulsory|
|16.||Request letter with all contact details||Current Residential Address, contact telephone number(Land and mobile ), and email address, enabling High Commission to contact applicant conveniently . – Compulsory|
|17.||Applicable fees||Within Australia
AUD 225.00 + Postage AUD 10.00 = AUD 235.00
AUD 225.00 + Postage AUD 40.00 = AUD 265.00
Note: Credit/ATM/Debit cards AND personal or Company cheques will not be accepted.
Note: The applicants who wish to pay relevant fees by direct transfer to the Bank Account of the High Commission in Canberra are advised to contact the High Commission for prior instructions
|19.||Special Notes (Important)
8. Few important tips to avoid unnecessary delays
Q 5 & Q 6. : Name in the Passport: Passport will be issued in the name given in the Original Sri Lankan Birth Certificate, unless a name change has been done by the Registrar General in Sri Lanka.
Change of name done abroad or the current usage of a different name in documents issued by an organization/institute/foreign government will not be taken into consideration.
Q 7.Permanent Address: Provide your current address with post code.
Photograph: 4.5 x 3.5cm size three (03) colour photographs taken in the preceding three months from the date of submission of application are required. The photographs should be clear with full front face, both ears clearly visible and without spectacles or head dress and must be taken against a light colour background. Photos that do not adhere to these guidelines will not be accepted.
Out of the three (03) colour photographs, affix first photograph in the box given in the (up-right hand side) first page of the application.
Affix the second photograph in box given in the left hand side of the second page of the application form.
Affix the third photograph in the box given in the right hand side of the second page of the application. This photograph must be attested by a Justice of Peace, a practising Medical Officer, Solicitor or Consular Officer of Sri Lanka. The attestation seal and signature of the attester must cross the photograph as well as application form. (Please see the specimen application given)
Q 19Signature of applicant: Signature of the applicant has to be placed inside both cages without touching the border of the cage.
For minors who are unable to sign, parents can write a part of the child’s name in the signature cages. (Parents must not place their signature or write their name on the child’s passport application)
Q 20.Declaration of the applicant: Applicant must fill and sign the declaration. If the applicant is unable to sign, a parent can sign the declaration.
Q 21.Certificate regarding the applicant: Attester (Honorary Consul/JP/ GP/ Solicitor) must fill and sign this part
9. Who can certify the above documents: Hon Consul/Solicitor/JP/Medical Practitioner [GP] can certify above documents.
All services provided by Honorary Consuls are free of charge as their services are provided on an honorary basis.
10. What is the procedure for Biometric Collection upon arrival in Sri Lanka?
The collection of biometrics (fingerprints and digital facial image) from passport applicants has been made mandatory with effect from 1stJanuary 2018 by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka [DIE].
All Sri Lankans between the ages 16-60 years applying for a Sri Lankan Passport through the High Commission/Consulate General Office in Sydney or Melbourne will be required to provide bio metric data to the Department of Immigration and Emigration upon his /her first entry to Sri Lanka.
Please note that departure from Sri Lanka will be allowed only after completion of this requirement.
What is the procedure for Biometric Collection upon arrival in Sri Lanka?
- On arrival in Sri Lanka you should directly report to the Chief Immigration Officer [CIO] and he will issue a system generated Biometric Data Acquisition Form [BDA] in duplicate with a unique reference number along with a guidance note.
- The applicant has to fill and sign the Form [BDA] in duplicate and produce it to the Senior Authorized Officer at the collection desk. One copy of the BDA will be returned to the applicant, to be produced to the Department [DIE] at the time of biometric enrolment.
Please note that biometrics cannot be provided at the airport prior to departure
How to avoid delays in submitting this information? You may have an appointment for fingerprints submission via online reservation system; www.immigration.gov.lk. BDA form should be submitted form to the Overseas Mission Division of the DIE headquarters at Battaramulla or to one of the regional offices.
- No payment is required for biometrics;
- Completion of biometric enrolment process will take approximately45 minutes;
- The Applicants who successfully complete this process will be issued a confirmation form;
- After completion of this process, the system will be automatically activated/updated facilitating the departure of the applicant from Sri Lanka;
- Biometric enrolment process will not change information contained in the passport;
- Passport Application form K-I.M35 has been revised to include client Undertaking Section [CUS-section 20]. This section has to be signed by the applicant;
- Application will not be accepted without the signature of the applicant under any circumstances.
Contact Nos/ Regional Offices of the Department of Immigration and Emigration: Working hours 8.00 am -2.00pm – Monday to Friday except public holidays.
Colombo – Overseas Missions Division 2nd Floor, Department of Immigration and Emigration ‘Suhurupaya’ Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla. Tel. +94 11 5329230
Matara – No.9 Sri Vijaya Builiding, Rahula Road, Matara. Tel. +94 415412212
Kandy – 42/3 Sangaraja Mawatha, Kandy Tel. + 94 81 5624470, +94 81 5624509
Vavuniya – JC 23, Outer Circle Road, Vavuniya Tel. +94 25 5676344
Kurunegala – 129, Dambulla Road,Kurunegala Tel. +94 37 5550562 +94 37 5550563
11. Submission of forged Birth Certificate or any other documents and making false declarations relating to the citizenship status is an offence. Such cases will be reported to relevant authorities and payment will not be refunded.
Check List (Mark where applicable)
- Duly filled application and a photocopy
- Original Birth certificate and 02 photocopies
- Current passport
- Current passport Data page & Alteration Page
- 02 photocopies of National Identity Card (If available)
- 02 certified copies of Marriage certificate/ Death certificate/ Court orders (if applicable)
- 02 copies of dual citizenship certificate (if applicable)
- foreign passport Copy (Dual Nationals only)
- Evidence of profession/ job/ occupation (if applicable)
- Student Enrolment letter (if applicable)
- Current visa status
- Request letter