Application for a new Sri Lankan Passport
Application procedure for a New Passport
You can apply for a Sri Lankan passport if you are a Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration.
Passports issued at present are valid for 10 years unless otherwise specified, and cannot be extended further.
Where to apply
Sri Lankan nationals residing in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Samoa can forward their applications and required documents to the Sri Lanka High Commission and the Consulates General Offices as indicated below;
Western Australia (WA), Northern Territory (NT),Australian Capital Territory (ACT), New Zealand, Papua New Guinea (PNG), Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, Solomon Islands – Sri Lanka High Commission , 61, Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla, Canberra. ACT 2600, Australia.
New South Weals, Queensland – Sri Lanka Consulate General in Sydney
(Please go through www.slcgsyd.com)
Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania – Sri Lanka Consulate General in Melbourne
(Please go through www.slcgmel.org)
Application procedure for a new Passport
All applicants holding a Permanent Residence Certificate or a valid visa,and who wish to apply for a new Sri Lankan Passport due to expiration of 10 years validity, pages being exhausted, physically damaged passport, or for a new born baby, should submit following documents along with duly completed application and supporting documents: Please note this procedure does not apply in the case of a lost passport.
Applicants must complete “Form K” which can be downloaded (Download Here) to apply for a new passport. Please read the instructions carefully before filling the application form.
Please Note :
Mandatory Collection of Biometrics from Passport Applicants Appling through Diplomatic Missions
The collection of biometrics [fingerprints and digital face image] from passport applicantsthrough diplomatic missions abroad has been made mandatory with effect from 1st January 2018 by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka[DIE].
Accordingly, all applicants on or after 1st January 2018, must complete new Passport Application Form “K”-I.M.35 and all Sri Lankans between the ages 16-60 years applying for a Sri Lankan Passport through the High Commission/Consulate General Office in Sydney or Melbourne will be required to provide bio metric data to the Department of Immigration and Emigration upon his /herfirst entry to Sri Lanka: Departure from Sri Lanka will be allowed only after completion of this requirement.
Procedure for Biometric Collection upon arrival in Sri Lanka
On arrival in Sri Lanka you should directly report to the Chief Immigration Officer [CIO] and he will issue a system generated Biometric Data Acquisition Form [BDA] in duplicate with a unique reference number along with a guidance note.
The applicant has to fill and sign theForm [BDA] in duplicate and produce it to the Senior Authorized Officer at the collection desk. One copy of the BDA will be returned to the applicant, to be produced to the Department [DIE] at the time of biometric enrolment.
Please note that biometrics cannot be provided at the airport prior to departure
- To avoid delays, you may have an appointment for fingerprints submission via online reservation system found in the Department website [www.immigration.gov.lk] You have to submit the BDA form to the Overseas Mission Division of the DIE headquarters at Battaramulla or to one of the regional offices. No payment is required.
- Please followthe instructionsgiven by the officers in providing biometrics data. Completion of biometric enrolment process will take approximately45 minutes. The Applicants who successfully complete this process will be issued a confirmation form. After completion of this process, the system will be automatically activated/updated facilitating the departure of the applicantfrom Sri Lanka.
- Biometric enrolment process will not change existing information onthe passport of the passenger.
- Passport Application form K-I.M35 has been revised to include client Undertaking Section [CUS-section 20].This section has to be signed by the applicant.Application will not be accepted without the signature of the applicant under any circumstances.The Revised Form can be downloaded from here.
Contact Nos/ Regional Offices of the Department of Immigration and Emigration: Working hours 8.00 am -2.00pm – Monday to Friday except public holidays.
Colombo – Overseas Mission Division 2nd Floor, Department of Immigration and Emigration ‘Suhurupaya’Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla. Tel.+94 11 5329230
Matara – No.9 Sri VijayaBuiliding, Rahula Road, Matara. Tel. +94 415412212
Kandy – 42/3 SangarajaMawatha, Kandy Tel.+ 94 81 5624470, +94 81 5624509
Vavuniya – JC 23, Outer Circle Road, Vavuniya Tel. +94 25 5676344
Kurunegala – 129,Dambulla Road,Kurunegala Tel. +94 37 5550562 +94 37 5550563
Incomplete applications will delay the processing.
01. Duly filled application (form K) with one photocopy.
02. Current passport[Original]with 02 photocopies of data page and alteration page if applicable.
03. Original birth certificate with 02 photocopies
(Birth Certificates issued by the Registrar General, District Registrar, Divisional Registrar will be accepted. Photocopies certified by other parties and translations will not be accepted.)
04. Original Citizenship certificate with 02 photocopies
(If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka, the Citizenship Certificate issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo.)
Note: If an applicant born outside Sri Lanka has reached 21 years, he/she should submit the Citizenship Certificate with the endorsement in the reverse side of the certificate, made by the Citizenship Division, regarding the applicant’s continuation of Sri Lankan nationality.
05. Two photo copies of National Identity card [if available]
06. Original Marriage certificate with 02 photocopies (in the case of name change consequent to marriage)
07. In case of divorce, 02 photocopies of the court order [if spouse wishes to continue her married name in the new passport]*
08. If a dual citizen, 02 photocopies of dual citizenship certificate and data page of foreign passport*
09. If applicant needs to include his/her Profession in the Passport,evidence of Profession/ Job/ Occupation should be attached:*
Profession : 02 photocopies of professional or educational certificates with
originals should be attached
Job/ Occupation : A recently obtained service letter,signed by an authorised officer or a
valid contract document [original]should be attached.
Student : A letter from the University/ Institute/ College/ School
10. If applicant is a member of the Buddhist clergy, Certificate of Higher ordination [Upasampada Sahathikaya] in addition to the Birth Certificate should be attached
*Hon Consul/Solicitor/JP/Medical Practitioner [GP] can certify above documents.
[Marked*] as “True Copy “and return originals to the applicant. All services provided by Honorary Consuls are free of charge as their services are provided on an honorary basis.
11. Visa status
Australian Visa holders
“VEVO “[Visa Entitlement Verification Online]from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Australia should be submitted to prove visa status. This certificate can be obtained free of charge from www.border.gov.au/Busi/Visa This Certificate should be obtained less than a week prior to submitting the application to the High Commission.
New Zealand Visa holders
Applicants who have been on a permanent residence visa in New Zealand [five or more years] a Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status [ referred to as Certificate of Denial in New Zealand ] will need to be sent with the application. This Certificate can be obtained by contacting the Ministry of Internal Affairs in New Zealand www.dia.gov.nz
Visa Holders in Countries other than Australia and New Zealand
Applicants should submit 02 photocopies of currant visa page of his/her passport.
13. Request letter with all contact details (address, telephone numbers, and email address)
If original documents are submitted with required photocopies to the High Commission, it will attest the documents and return the originals to the applicant.
Within Australia AUD 170.00 + Postage AUD 10.00 = AUD 180.00
Payment can be made in cash at the counter, by Australian postal order/ Bank cheque drawnin favourof“Sri Lanka High Commission” or by Direct Deposit to High Commission Account. [Credit/ATM cards will not be accepted]
Outside Australia AUD 170.00 + Postage AUD 30.00 = AUD 200.00
Payment can be made by Bank draft drawn in favour of“Sri Lanka High Commission” or by Direct Deposit to High Commission Account.
-In case of expired passports, an additional fee of AUD 5.00 for each year will be charged from the date of expiry.
-Personal and company cheques are not acceptable.
– Fees will not be refund under any circumstances, after issuance of a receipt.
–Translations will not be accepted as originals
-All photocopies must be on A4 size paper.
Check List (mark where applicable)
Please check whether all documents required are submitted in order to avoid delays.
- Duly filled application form
- Original passport and 02 photocopies of data page and alteration page
- Original birth certificate and 02 photocopies
- 02 photocopies of the National Identity Card
- 02 certified copies of the marriage certificate/ death certificate/ court orders (if applicable)
- 02 copies of dual citizenship certificate and foreign passport (if applicable)
- Evidence of profession/ job/ occupation (if applicable)
- Current visa status
- Request letter