Registration of Birth outside Sri Lanka
Where to apply:
Sri Lankan nationals residing in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Samoa can forward their applications with required documents to the Sri Lanka High Commission and the Consulate General Offices as indicated below;
Western Australia (WA), Northern Territory (NT),Australian Capital Territory (ACT), New Zealand, Papua New Guinea (PNG), Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, Solomon Islands-
Sri Lanka High Commission, 61, Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla, Canberra. ACT 2600, Australia.
New South Wales, Queensland –Sri Lanka Consulate General in Sydney
(Please go through www.slcgsyd.com)
Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania – Sri Lanka Consulate General in Melbourne
(Please go through www.slcgmel.org)
This Mission is pleased to assist you to register the birth of your children under;
(a) Section 5 (2) of the Citizenship Act and
(b) Section 16 or 24 of the Birth Registration Act.
Required Documents for Registration of Birth:
Parents of the child are hereby instructed to complete the appropriate application forms given below in BLOCK CAPITALS and submit to this Mission in duplicate, along with the documents mentioned below, in order to register the birth of a child under Section 5(2) of the Citizenship Act of Sri Lanka. It is a requirement that the child’s mother or father or both of them should be Sri Lankan citizen/s at the time of the child’s birth.
Forms B4/B6 and Citizenship 1 has to be completed and signed by one and same parent.
- Application for child less than 03 months of age on the date of application [Form B4]
- Application for child aged between 03 – 12 months on the date of application [Form B6]
- Application for child aged over 01 year on the date of application [Form B6]
Two sets of photocopies along with originals of following documents should be submitted as per the following order.Translations will not be accepted as originals. Photocopies should be attached separately to each set of application and the originals should be produced separately.
- Child’s Local Birth Certificate-original (with parents’ details)
- Father’s Birth Certificate- original
- Mother’s Birth Certificate- original
- Parents’ Marriage Certificate- original
- Parents’ Passports- originals with photocopies of bio data page, endorsement & renewals and visa pages.)
- Parents’ Current Passports- [if different from 5 above] originals with photocopies of bio data page, endorsement & renewals and visa pages.)
- Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status [”VEVO” Visa Entitlement Verification Online issued by the Department of Immigration in Australia or the Certificate of Denial in New Zealand, issued by Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand. This certificate applies to those who are residing in Australia or in New Zealand on a permanent resident visa.]
- Statutory Declaration should be completed by the child’s father or mother who is a Sri Lankan at the time of the child’s birth, in duplicate and certified by a Justice of the Peace or a Solicitor.
- The original dual citizenship certificate is required if the applicant is a dual citizen at the time of the child’s birth.
- If parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth an affidavit relating to Paternity and Declaration of Citizenship certified by a Solicitor, is required.
- Covering Letter with contact details [Tel Nos, E-mail addresses and fax No. If available]
|Australia (AUS $ 100)||New Zealand *(AUS$130)|
|Registration of Birth||A$ 25.00||A$ 25.00|
|Citizenship Certificate||A$ 50.00||A$ 50.00|
|Postage Charges||A$ 25.00||A$ 55.00*|
*New Zealand, Papua New Guinea (PNG), Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, Solomon Islands.
A late registration fee [A$12 per each year] will be charged, beyond the 1st year of the birth.
If any applicant needs original documents earlier, he/she has to provide additional postage/courier charges.
The application in respect of Citizenship Registration will be sent to the Controller General / Department of Immigration & Emigration, Colombo and upon receipt of the prescribed certificate from the Department of Immigration & Emigration, it will be sent to the applicant. Parents are advised to keep this Mission informed, if address / contact details are changed in the interim period.
Please make all payments payable to the ‘Sri Lanka High Commission’. Payments can be made by Money order/Bank draft. If applying in person at the High Commission, payment can only be made in cash for which an official receipt will be issued. Money will not be refunded after issuance of the receipt.
The application/s should be sent to:
The Sri Lanka High Commission,
61, Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla,
Canberra, ACT 2600
Telephone: (02) 61983756
Fax : (02) 61983760
- Incomplete applications and lack of documents may result in delays.
- Translations will not be accepted as originals
- All photocopies must be on A4 size paper.
- This High Commission will not take any responsibility for documents lost or delayed in the post. If required, courier services should be arranged by the applicant.
- Money will not be refunded after issuance of a receipt.
- Personal and company cheques are not accepted.
Children born outside of Sri Lanka, whose birth is registered with a Sri Lanka Mission abroad, are issued with certificates under the Consular Functions Act by the Registrar General’s Office as well as the Ceylon Citizenship Act by the Department of Immigration and Emigration. Certificate issued by the Department of Immigration and Emigration will become void on reaching the age of 21 years, at which time the child will have to decide whether to retain the Sri Lanka Citizenship or the citizenship of the country of birth or both, by making an application to the Department of Immigration and Emigration before he completes the age of 21 years. Applicant who does not comply with this requirement will automatically lose Sri Lankan Citizenship as stated at the bottom of the Certificate issued by the Department of Immigration and Emigration. In view of the above it is advisable for the parents to keep their children informed of this requirement.