CBR014 Sri Lankan Pensions
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PENSIONERS
The Department of Pensions will cease the practice of paying Sri Lankan pensions through Sri Lanka overseas Missions with effect from 1st October 2018.
All Sri Lankan pensioners, including those residing overseas, will be required thereafter to hold a Sri Lankan bank account to which their pension will be paid.
Pensioners currently receiving their Sri Lankan pension through the High Commission in Canberra, are therefore kindly requested to take immediate action to open a bank account in Sri Lanka before 1st October 2018.
Please follow the instructions given in the Department of Pensions website at the URL given below, on how to open a bank account.
Application forms to open bank accounts can be sent through the High Commission.
Life Certificates can continue to be sent through the High Commission, even after 1st October 2018.
Your understanding is appreciated.
1 August 2018
Sri Lanka High Commission
- What are the legal frameworks for paying pensions to former Government servants of Sri Lanka?
- The payment of pensions is governed by the provisions of the Pensions Act and Widows & Orphans’ Pensions Act and the relevant Circulars issued by the Department of Pensions in Sri Lanka from time to time.
- The most recent circular applicable for Overseas Pensioners is 16/2009 dated 06.04.2010 as amended by 16/2009(extra), 16/2009(3) LG, 05/2011 circulars. These circulars are available on Department of Pension’s official web site pensions.gov.lk
- According to the latest revision issued by circular No 05/2011, the Department of Pensions has decided;
(a) to limit pension payments through overseas missions.
(b) to pay pensions of those who are residing overseas through special bank accounts.
(Hence, fresh requests to draw pensions through overseas missions will be considered on a case by case basis only for aged pensioners who no longer have Sri Lankan citizenship and connection with the country).
- What is the procedure for a retired Government servant of Sri Lanka to obtain pensions while overseas?
- Through the Embassy/High Commission of Sri Lanka in the respective country where the pensioner is residing
- Through an Approved Special Bank Account in Sri Lanka.
- Pensioners, who are travelling for short periods, can continue to receive their pensions via Divisional Secretariats in Sri Lanka by providing a Life Certificate whilst abroad: to (the bank account from where they draw the pension and the relevant Divisional Secretariat with prior approval obtained for such payments form the Department of Pensions.
- Where to contact? Forward your application to the following respective offices, closest to your place of residence:
|Office & Contact Details|
Sri Lanka High Commission,
61, Hampton Circuit, Yarralumla 2600, ACT, Australia
Fax : 02-6198-3760
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steps to be taken and the checklist
|1.||How to apply to receive pension in a Foreign Country
Please download this circular and read carefully before filling the Data Entry Form. Applicants are kindly requested to attach all the documents required in para No 09 in the form to avoid unnecessary delays.
|2.||In case of a Widower, in addition to the requirements in para No 09, the following documents should be attached;
(a) Certified copy of Marriage Certificate
(b) Certified Copy of Death Certificate of the Pensioner
Applicant should place his/her signature before a Diplomatic officer at the High Commission/Consul General office, Honorary Consuls for Sri Lanka, Notary Public or Justice of the Peace etc.
|Life Certificate submission by current pension receivers
|Life Certificate Form
“Please make sure to send this new life certificate application only to get your pension”
|Department of Pensions||Department of Pensions
Foreign Pension Branch
Sri LankaT.P : + 94 11 2386469
+ 94 11 2209870
Fax : + 94 11 2342078
+ 94 11 2386469e-mail: email@example.com